El Medano: a kitesurf & adventure travel guide
Costa del Siliencio in particular: the south-east coast. It’s stunning and definitely has possibilities for action and adventure time in nature! La Montaña Roja is the landmark, a 171 high volcanic ‘red mountain’ and protected natural reserve, where you can climb, hike and cycle. The area around the ‘mountain’ is the playground for the waterlusted adventure seekers. The old fishing town of El Medano (meaning Sand dune) is the place to be, especially for wind and kitesurfers looking to extent the European summer. El Medano is a chilled-out laid-back town that hasn’t been conquered by invasions of northern European beach people. As opposed to other parts of Tenerife here the Spanish vibe is definitely present. Fisherman are catching the tapa of the day, elderly people are chitchatting on the boulevard benches, and locals and adventure seekers are having una caña (draft beer) somewhere at the plaza or wooden board walk in the no-traffic zone. It’s one of these sticky places where you could end up hanging out way longer than planned.
- El Medano: The kitesurf spot of Tenerife
- More to do in El Medano
- Best time to go?
- Where to stay in El Medano?
- Where to Eat & Drink?
- Local food of the Canary Islands?
- How to get to El Medano?
- Beyond El Medano?
- El Medano resources
El Medano: The kitesurf spot of Tenerife
More to do in El Medano
Rent a bike
Snorkeling & Chilling
Salt water pools
Hike up Montano Rojo
Best time to go?
Where to stay in El Medano?
Budget places to stay El Medano
- Los Amigos Backpackers. 15 euro’s per night. This hostel is located few kilometers outside of El Medano. It’s a hostel run by backpackers for backpackers. For 2 euro you can rent a bike. If you leave before noon it’s no problem to take your kitesurf gear on the bike (poco viento).The staff is very active in organising daily excursions and dinner gatherings. Breakfast (cereals, bread, fruit & veggies) and towels are included. The wifi is good. The crowd is multi-national. It lacks Spanish ambience if that’s what you’re after. For people who only come to kitesurf you may want to stay right in El Medano town.
- Casa Grande Surfhostel. 15 euro per night. A budget surf vibe place in El Medano center. Shared rooms only.
- Hostal Carel. 45 euro’s per night/per room. Budget friendly top location.
Midrange accommodation options in El Medano
- Hotel Playa Sur This hotel is right on the kitesurf spot. You cannot be closer!
- Casas Bioclimaticas Eco houses powered by the wind. Located a few kilometers east of El Medano. 100% in nature. You would want to rent a car if you stay here.
Where to Eat & Drink?
- For a cafe con leche in the morning or cana after kiteboarding: Veinte 04 Surf cafe, on the square.
- Tapas? Vetusta Bar Lovely staff, good wifi, delicious tapas! and Bar playa chica (5 tapas for 10 euro’s), both at the paseo Maritimo.
- Flashpoint: right on the beach. Nice view of the world from here:)
- Go for the catch of the day in the town next to El Medano: Los Abrigos: De-li-ciously prepared fresh fish.
- For cocktails? Calima Cafe
- In the small alleys on the eastern side of the bay you find more nice coffee bars, an eco food shop and discodancing options.
Local food of the Canary Islands?
Forget about your usual food. These are must tries when in the Canary Islands:
- Papa arrugadas: Canary Island style salty potatoes which come with a delicious salsa (sauce) Mojo rojo (red) y verde (green). I cannot get enough of this, and of the Mojo especially!
- Rancho Canario: a tasty local chickpeas soup. Very nutritional!
- Queso Rojo: the local cheese! yum!
- Mango’s, papayas, kaki fruit and a lot of them! One of the few places in Europe where you can buy tropical fruit grown locally!
How to get to El Medano?
Beyond El Medano?
El Medano resources
Disclaimer: All recommendations in this El Medano Kitesurf & Adventure guide are my own. Some links are affiliate links, some are not. If you book through my site I get a few pesos to put into the adventure fund. Thank you! And If you would like to know more about this town, leave a comment below. Happy to help.